I’ve been teaching yoga since 1984 and in that time, I have taught several golfers. One actually got a hole in one after about 3 months of yoga practice. Following is a compilation list of benefits these students reported.
- Feet more firmly planted when swinging at the ball
- Fewer back and shoulder problems because of proper warm-up exercises
- Better ability to assume correct golf posture
- Better balance
- Further turn in waist which gives more power in hitting ball
- Wider arc in swing from shoulder extension
- Less tension throughout body
- More flexible shoulders and arms
- More powerful shoulders and arms
- More ability to get inside of yourself and concentrate on your game
- The balance poses correlate to a properly balanced golf stance and facilitate a balanced follow-through.
- Posture in golf is very important. The poses that elongate the spine make a long, flowing swing possible.
- Hip and shoulder turns are critical to a successful golf swing. Poses have many wonderful benefits to improve flexibility and make "coiling" possible.
- Golf is a game of grace and fluid motion. Yoga is the same. Long, languid movements are essential to both.
This is an impressive list. I know of no other exercises that will give you all these benefits, and not just for golf. Any activity you do will benefit from the right attitude and a well-toned body.